by Tracey Robinson
In the run-up to our GrappleThon in support of Womankind Bristol next month, Artemis BJJ instructor Tracey headed down to their offices (a short walk from MYGYM) to talk to them about their wonderful charity work.
Before I talk about the services they offer, I want to say that Womankind Bristol are thrilled that we are fundraising for them. The staff were lovely and very interested in what a grapplethon was! Their mission is to help women to improve their mental health and well-being so they can experience a better quality of life. They offer a number of services:
• Group therapy
• Individual counselling
• Specialist counselling service for women who have suffered sexual violence
• Safer women’s project – supports women who have been trafficked or refugees
• Service for deaf and hard of hearing women
• Befriending service for women who are isolated and struggle to leave their home
• Transgender support group – the only one in the South West
Womankind Bristol are currently setting up an instant messaging service. They hope to launch the service in about 6 months time and part of the money raised in the grapplethon will go towards this project. This service will be geared towards young women and those who are deaf and hard of hearing.
On a personal note, I was overwhelmed at the variety of issues that Womankind Bristol deal with, including: anxiety and depression, eating problems, physical disabilities and suicidal thoughts. They strive to help those who struggle and I am thrilled that we can raise money to enable them to carry on doing this.